In response to COVID-19, the Recycling Depots may be reducing their hours and services. Please contact your Recycling Depot to confirm their hours of operation prior to dropping off your electronics, paint, tires or used oil materials. Ensure social distancing best practice when visiting a depot. Thank you and stay safe!

Hazardous Waste

Alberta's Household Hazardous Waste Program

Unused household products containing corrosive, toxic, flammable, or reactive ingredients are considered "household hazardous waste" ('HHW'). Remains of products such as cleaners, oils and pesticides that contain potentially hazardous ingredients require special handling for disposal. Improper disposal, such as pouring down the sink, pouring in the storm sewer, burning, throwing in the landfill or putting it out in the trash can ultimately lead to contamination of our water, air and land, and can be a threat to human health.

How Do I Know It's Hazardous?

A household hazardous product has at least one of the following properties:

  • Reactive
  • Corrosive
  • Flammable
  • Toxic

For a detailed list of household hazardous wastes commonly brought to HHW roundups or collection sites.


If you would like to schedule an HHW Roundup or year round collection of HHW, please contact an HHW broker.

List of HHW Brokers

Did You Know?

From April 1, 2017 - March 31, 2018, 748,042 kilograms of household hazardous material was safely disposed of at the Swan Hills Treatment Centre and 368,929 aerosol cans were recycled.

'Round It Up'

The HHW collection program is coordinated through Alberta Environment & Parks and administered by Alberta Recycling. With several permanent collection sites and HHW roundups arranged annually by municipalities across Alberta, it's easy and convenient for you to safely dispose of those unwanted hazardous household products. Materials collected at municipal roundups are safely shipped and disposed of at the Swan Hills Waste Treatment Center.

Finding a household hazardous roundup near you

Please check with your municipal office to find out if they accept HHW on a year round basis or if they will be holding a roundup.