Become a Registered Used Oil Processor
Obtaining Government Approval
To become a Registered Processor, you must first obtain government approval to process used lubricating oil materials in the jurisdiction where you wish to operate. Next, you must demonstrate to Alberta Recycling that you can recycle used oil materials into marketable products.
When you are approved by government and prepared to demonstrate your readiness to Alberta Recycling, you must:
- Apply to Alberta Recycling to become a Registered Processor by completing and submitting a fully complete application form. Incomplete application forms will not be accepted.
- Review the Manual for Registered Collectors and Processors, which provides details on the program and outlines the operational requirements that must be met by registered processors and registered collectors before processors will be eligible to receive recycling incentives.
Financial recycling incentives called Return Incentives (RIs) are paid to Registered Processors. Only government-approved processors can become Registered Processors. The amount of the RI paid to Registered Processors is based on the quantity (kilograms or litres) of used oil materials received at the processor’s facility multiplied by the applicable zone rate for the zone in which the material was collected. There are six zones in Alberta, and the RIs paid on used oil, oil filters, and oil containers differ by zone.
Only used oil material collected and processed by Registered Collectors and Registered Processors is eligible for RIs. Registered Processors wishing to collect materials directly must also apply to become a Registered Collector. Registered Processors may also receive used oil materials through third party Registered Collectors. Alberta Recycling does not regulate or become involved in the agreements, including terms of payment, established between Registered Collectors and Registered Processors.
Registered Processors must abide by all program requirements, including submitting applicable documentation, to be eligible to receive RIs. Program requirements are outlined in the Manual for Registered Collectors and Processors.
Please note that the review process for an application can take from four to six months in order for interim approval to be considered.
If you would like more information or to make an application please e-mail [email protected].
Documents and Resources
- Manual for Registered Collectors and Processors
- Return Incentives
- Processor Return Incentive Claim Forms
- Annual Sales and Inventory Forms
Learn more about our used oil recycling program
Alberta's Used Oil Recycling Program is helping protect our environment by keeping used lubricating oil, oil containers and oil filters out of our landfills, and away from the waste stream.